Visit the Alcazaba of Almeria2018-06-03
The Alcazaba of Almeria can be seen from all parts of the city and it is the largest of the citadels built by the Arabs in Spain.
Its construction began in 955 by Abderraman III and was completed in the XIth century by Hayrán, ‘taifa’ king of Almeria. After the Christian conquest, it was reformed by the Catholic monarchs and Carlos I.
It has three walled fences. One of the three was built by the Catholic monarchs. It was a royal residence and today stands at the foot of the Al-Mutasin palace with all its rooms, the mosque, which has been converted into a church and its baths since the end of the 15th century. It has only one entrance, almost invisible through the huge walls, as well as large rooms with vaulted ceilings and Gothic doors.
From the top of the castle walls we can enjoy a beautiful view of the city and the harbor.
The Alcazaba of Almeria, with its 1430 m. Walled perimeter is the second largest Islamic construction in Spain, after the Alhambra Palace in Granada.
The fort is situated on a hill, overlooking the old town center, the medina. Here we find a first fence in which a large garden and ponds were built during the Muslim period.
The Alcazaba of Almeria was built on behalf of Abderrahman III in the tenth century after the foundation of the city. It is a stronghold that housed three campuses; the first two Muslims and one Christian, last built after the conquest of the city by the Catholic princes, which took place in 1489.
The second area, the grand royal residence of King Almotacín, was in the eleventh century. This consisted of a public space, where today the caliphate sources of the tenth century are, a Christian arch from the 16th century. Located in the residence of the first Christian governor of the city, two rebuilt houses, the Mudejar Hermitage of San Juan and a bathhouse have been rebuilt, next to other buildings. Moreover, the reception room of the Government House of Palace was in the middle. At the top was the private part of the palace of King Almotacín. From this palace, only vestiges of private bathrooms and the only wall remained intact and preserved, called “Mirador of Window of the Odalisque.” This contains a curious legend about the love relationship between a captive and privileged slave of the Christian in captivity. king.
Finally, the last enclosure of the fortress, Christian, and ordered to be built by the Catholic monarchs, after taking the city. It is a Christian castle within the Islamic fortification. It is located in a large courtyard, with three towers with characteristics: Keep, the Noria which is used for heating water and the gunpowder shop.